We offer facial and skincare treatments for skin rejuvenation, maintenance and relaxation - always applying anti-ageing strategies.
Botox therapy, the brand name for a Botulinum toxin type A product, is a well-known treatment, and its popularity has increased along with its myriad of uses medically as well as aesthetically. Botox injections consist of a natural, purified protein that relaxes the muscle upon injection by blocking nerve impulses – essentially blocking the message from the brain to the muscle, therefore allowing no/little contraction.
Botox temporarily blocks the muscle contraction impulses, reducing overactive muscle movement temporarily in that area. Once specific muscles are relaxed and do not contract anymore, the skin becomes smoother and significantly less lined. A typical treatment is performed in approximately 10 minutes and will be effective for an average of 3 - 5 months.
Botox has a wide variety of uses for aesthetic medicine and beyond. The most well-known being:
- the reduction of frown lines, forehead lines and crow's feet.
It can also be used for:
- migraines and chronic tension headaches
- hyperhidrosis – excessive sweating, e.g. hands, axilla or feet
- bruxism – teeth clenching
- muscle spasms, e.g. upper back
- gummy smiles
- smoker's lines along the lips
- lifting of down-turning mouth corners
- lines along the neckline
- lifting the neck and jawline
- softening of a square jawline caused by strong masseter muscles (muscles used for chewing, biting and grinding)
Botox takes between 3 and 7 days to start working, and up to two weeks for its full effect to become apparent. Immediately after the treatment, the injection sites may appear raised and red – as if the skin had been rubbed. This will clear quickly. It is imperative that you follow your doctors' aftercare advice on skin cleansing in the first 12 hours following treatment and that you do not lie down for the first 6 hours after treatment. Your only responsibility is to ensure that the botox remains in the position where it was injected until it is set.
Botox remains active for between 3 and 5 months in the facial area, but out of personal experience, we find that the more active a muscle (the more you use it), the shorter the effects last. It seems that with repeated botox treatments clients unlearn the habit, e.g. frowning regularly, causing the botox effects to last longer.
It also seems that nowadays, botox treatments are more popular as a preventative treatment. Younger clients are having botox injected to delay the development of expression lines, preventing wrinkles from developing, becoming deep and ingrained at an early age.
Botox and Medical Aids – with prior approval, some medical conditions treated with Botulinum toxin can be claimed for from the medical aids.
Normal side-effects, if any, may include bruising, headaches, bleeding and nausea. If any of these do occur, they usually disappear in days. Do not hesitate to contact us immediately should you have any concerns or uncertainty.
Always discuss your full medical history with your doctor before having any aesthetic medicine procedures done.
- Avoid touching the area for the first 4 hours and then be careful for a total of 12 – 24 hours following treatment. This is to avoid moving the product to areas not intended.
- For the first 4 hours, it is recommended to pull faces – specifically, the areas treated. This helps to settle the product.
- If possible, do not apply any make-up; remove make-up GENTLY using the angles and directions as shown by the doctor or assistant.
- Be careful with your sunglasses as the rims may lie against your skin and redirect the product.
- Avoid any exercise or any activity creating heat, e.g. sauna, steam room, etc.
- Avoid wearing any headgear, e.g. a cap, swimming cap, sun hat, etc.
MEDICAL AESTHETIC SKIN CARE & BODY CONTOURING TREATMENTS
Enhance your features and refine your natural beauty with medical treatments including chemical peels, injectables, mesotherapy, micro needling, IPL, liquid facelifts, sclerotherapy, permanent make-up, lipolaser, vela shape body contouring and slender wonder.